Topic: Texts are displayed different size on different computers

I prepared my laptop to travel with the project to finish documentation on site.
To my horror i now see that all text in qet drawings are 50% larger there -> overlapping = unusable.
Also the pdf i export there show same problem.

I use exactly the same OS: Mageia 6, Plasma.

Any clue?

2 (edited by Morganol 2017-02-06 17:55:58)

Re: Texts are displayed different size on different computers

Another test:
booting into MS Windows7 on that laptop and use the QET windows binary, the text is instead a little bit *smaller* than on my Mageia workstation.

There is another small problem: All text on schema is less beautiful - kerning and softness (i dont remenber the correct term right now) seem broken.  Menus and project list etc are all OK.

While not beautiful, it is good enough for my immediate need.

Picture left: Nice text in folio list - right: ugly rendered text on schematic

Maybe it is a question of what typefaces are installed?
I have only used default and not tred other.  Yet.

Post's attachments

QET W7 text.png, 2.77 kb, 317 x 57
QET W7 text.png 2.77 kb, 385 downloads since 2017-02-06 

Laptop and workstation has the same type of screen, same Qt version?

See : https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopi … 4074#p4074
https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img/differences-ecrans-wvga-hd-fhd-qhd-uhd-image-00-w782.jpg

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

On the laptop the screen is the same regardless if i boot windows or linux nomicons/wink  But i compiled QET locally on Linux with Qt 5.6.2
Compared to my workstation, on my laptop windows QET display texts smaller, but on Linux QET display texts *much* larger.

The text size on laptop in windows is close to size of what i see on workstation in Linux.

The windows QET is the "ready-to-use" development version.

My workstation have same Linux distro Mageia6, Plasma, and Qt versions as laptop, both use proprietary but different Nvidia drivers.

Laptop is an old Thinkpad T61p with 1600x1200 screen, workstation have 2560x1600.

From the link you gave I fail to distill a method to apply.  Maybe it got lost in google translation or i am just too tired.

To tell which system show the correct size, i guess i can make a text of large size "H" in element editor and measure how many dot high it is.    What would be correct measurement there?

Example from my laptop, texts overflowing.
(That page is a top plan of the PLC network of the equipment)

Post's attachments

Screenshot_20170207_015937.png, 562.33 kb, 1364 x 852
Screenshot_20170207_015937.png 562.33 kb, 441 downloads since 2017-02-07 

Hello,

I was faced with a similar problem.

I'm also using QET on two computers, both running Windows7.

On my laptop I realized, that the text in the drawings was always a bit larger and also the tabstops were wrong.
After reinstalling and trying different qet versions finally I found, that on my laptop,
to get a better readability, I set the (I think it is named DPI-Scaling under "Control Panel"->"Display") to 125%.

I set it back to 100% and everything was fine.

So I think somewhere QET or Qt itself is considering this scaling implicitely or explicitely, but only for the text in the drawings. Generally this should not be a problem but all elements of the drawing including the page dimensions should also get scaled.

I did not take an explicit look, but I'm pretty sure that Linux Desktops also have this kind of option which can lead to the same effects.

Hello Stephan,

thanks for your feedback.

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

8 (edited by Morganol 2018-10-08 11:15:16)

On KDE5 Plasma:
(All names guessed from translating from Swedish)

Plasma settings > Appearance > Font > Font
 [x] Force font dots per inch: 

Higher number will make all text bigger in menues, dialogs, drawing.

The QET drawing template editor have check boxes to make the text size automatically limit to available space.

We are also experiencing problems with this.  If I open QET on my Dell Inspiron with 4K display, save a drawing, then open it on another PC, the text is a huge mess and totally unusable.  Any lines in the drawing seem to scale correctly, just not the text.  If I want to use QET to edit one of the hundreds of drawings we have, I have to unplug my second monitor, open QET, then reattach the monitor.  If I try to open with the monitor (which is also 4K by the way) connected, the text scaling is off.  Trying to use drawings on one of our HD laptops is impossible, so instead of my team working on drawings, we have accumulated a large CAD backlog. 

We've spent many hours trying to figure out how to get the text to scale properly on our HD machines, with or without 4K external monitors, with no success.  The various scaling settings with QT such as QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS, QT_SCALE_FACTOR, and Windows High DPI options seem to only affect scaling of the app, but not the text in the drawing. 

We are not software developers... any support would be greatly appreciated!

You are on 09-dev installer or other version?
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopi … 445#p12445
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopi … 561#p10561
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2018

Same issue with all versions.  09-dev, V0.70-RC2+5645188c5d79751d3, and prior versions.

Hardware driver's is latest?
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1098

Maybe a hardware issue?
https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron … -p/7423761
https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron … -p/7882259

You could share QET log?

Hi, maybe try latest changes :
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopi … 583#p15583

It doesn't look like anything has changed regarding text scaling in the new version.

I've attached an image that shows the issue in detail.  You can see that the lines that were drawn are scaled correctly to the template, but the texts are very badly scaled.  We have some very complex drawings that are essentially useless for everyone except the author with the 4K laptop, because the scaled text makes the sheet look like alphabet soup.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon screen comparisons QET.png 330.28 kb, 61 downloads since 2021-12-14 

You could share your project?
Maybe I can try on my Debian with 4K display + 1080P screen
or on my 4K laptop..

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html

void QGuiApplication::setHighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy(Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy policy)
Sets the high-DPI scale factor rounding policy for the application. The policy decides how non-integer scale factors (such as Windows 150%) are handled, for applications that have AA_EnableHighDpiScaling enabled.

The two principal options are whether fractional scale factors should be rounded to an integer or not. Keeping the scale factor as-is will make the user interface size match the OS setting exactly, but may cause painting errors, for example with the Windows style.

If rounding is wanted, then which type of rounding should be decided next. Mathematically correct rounding is supported but may not give the best visual results: Consider if you want to render 1.5x as 1x ("small UI") or as 2x ("large UI"). See the Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy enum for a complete list of all options.

This function must be called before creating the application object, and can be overridden by setting the QT_SCALE_FACTOR_ROUNDING_POLICY environment variable. The QGuiApplication::highDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy() accessor will reflect the environment, if set.

The default value is Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::Round. On Qt for Android the default is Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::PassThrough, which preserves historical behavior from earlier Qt versions.

This function was introduced in Qt 5.14.

See also highDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy().
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qt.html#HighDpiS … olicy-enum

Constant    Value    Description
Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::Round    1    Round up for .5 and above.
Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::Ceil    2    Always round up.
Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::Floor    3    Always round down.
Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::RoundPreferFloor    4    Round up for .75 and above.
Qt::HighDpiScaleFactorRoundingPolicy::PassThrough    5    Don't round.

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img_2/rounding_hdpi.png

It's very hard without 4k screen to test it.
Can you send us your project, and also the last log of qet (you can found the log in the about qet dialog).
The wrong scale appear on all element text, editable and not editable text or only on editable text ?

Développeur QElectroTech

It looks like the issue was possibly resolved at some point.  Drawings from the 4K laptop now with 0.90 are now scaling OK on the HD screens... Unfortunately, we discovered most of our drawings were made with a version of 0.7 that was downloaded in mid 2019.  All of our element libraries were also created with the older version. 

Since there is no way to "export" the scaling to look appropriately with v0.90, I think we may have a long, difficult road ahead of us.

@ruggedvid

This is more a system font then a QET problem.

Do you remember what systemfont name and size you use on your operating system for making the schematic in version 0.7 and in 0.9 ?
You have an HD PC and a 4K PC. Do you have the same systemfont and size use ?

I am an industrial developer technician and born in 1960

@Morganol
I am not sure what you mean.  The font is defined at the time of creation is it not?  Created with MS Shell Dlg 2 on drawings from either screen size.  Both are pretty standard Win10 machines.  Are you suggesting QET will somehow use different fonts depending on which PC is used?

By default qet use sans serif font.
If you change font make sure, the font is also present in other computer.

But I don't think your problem come from font family.

Développeur QElectroTech

@ruggedvid

can you send us the qet file?

We need to get the problem page.

Open the project on your 4K laptop.
Delete multiple pages until the problem page.
Use save as for writing the project.

send us the qet file.

I am an industrial developer technician and born in 1960

Here is one of the man drawings that only looks good if I open QET (0.7) with my laptop's built-in 4K display, with windows text scaling factor set to 150%, without the external 4K monitor connected.  If I open QET with the external 4K monitor the scaling is a little wonky regardless of the text scaling settings for Win10. 

If I open with a different (FHD display with or without external 4K monitor) PC it is basically unreadable with any scaling settings in Win10.  Opening with QET 0.9 seems to scale texts the same regardless of the PC, but still is not true to the original design scaling.

The attachment shows how it should look, and the next post will have the drawing source file.

By the way, this seems to happens for any drawing, with static or dynamic text, with any number of sheets.  It is not a drawing issue, as the scaling issue happens on any drawing and is dependent on which display was used at the time QET is opened.  I have to unplug my external display, open QET with the laptop, then plug the external display back in.  Then I can use any of our drawings without issue.  It is some issue with initial conditions on opening QET, and not necessarily when a drawing is opened.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon RV-10164H RevE Customer Drawing.pdf 444.08 kb, 134 downloads since 2021-12-23 

Here is the example drawing. 

By the way, although we don't have a solution yet, thanks very much to each of you for engaging in this discussion!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon RV-10164H_RevE EAGLEi 4K Main Harness example.qet 176.41 kb, 128 downloads since 2021-12-23 

BTW, a workaround is to increase folio size like this:

Post's attachments

Attachment icon RV-10164H_RevE EAGLEi 4K Main Harness example.qet 177.07 kb, 123 downloads since 2021-12-23 

Thanks, but I think all the larger folio does is prevent the mis-scaled text from spilling off the page.  The scaling of texts is still bad.