Topic: Crashes continually on MacOS 10.13.6

Been using qelectrotech for 3 days now. It works ok, but some features are still not clear.

Today it just suddenly started crashing every few minutes.

Version: QElectroTech V 0.70-dev r5449
Kompiliert: CLANG 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.39.2) - built with Qt 5.11.1 - run with Qt 5.11.1 using 8 thread(s)p.

Using it on UK English Local environment MacBookPro with German as GUI language. Don't know if it will make a difference.

Re: Crashes continually on MacOS 10.13.6

You can try other bundles, I made big changes before 5449 version, like 5444 dmg ?

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/builds/MAC_OS_X/

BTW, you could find some howto on QET YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/scorpio8101/videos 

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Great. I will try the previous version in your link.

I have used other systems before like ACAD, MicroStation, LibreCAD, and others. Naturally all software needs getting into it's workings, and QElectroTech took a day or so to get used to.
I will give a more detailed feedback later on.
I support FOSS as much as possible.
Thanx for making it OS!

Thank so much for your comments.nomicons/wink

we are not  OSX macOS expert, we use and develop on Gnu/Linux OS,.
Our macOS package left us 2 or 3 years ago, if I remember correctly,  i had to learn this operating system and work to virtualize on my machine for debug ,packaging and also try to improve the bundles and the user experience too.

Alone, we have very few macOS users feedback. nomicons/getlost

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Well, if I need to give feedback, I will. When I have time, I can also do some Beta-Testing if you like. I am no programmer - did Ritchie's Ansi C for 25 years and now only use Bash Scripting.

I mostly use CentOS Server, OSX and now MacOS. I use Win only in VMWare or VirtualBox. MacOS runs well in VMWare Fusion as well. I have older Mac OSX Versions as Guests on my MacBookPro for testing things that may kill the OS. On MacOS two packages that makes the use of a Mac just as easy as Linux is HomeBrew and MacPorts (supply's 99% Linux commands on Mac).

Thanx for the quick replies.

BR

Versions r5449 and r5444 crashes every now and then. I have a crash report made by MacOS if you need.
Going to try version r5437 now.

:-/

7 (edited by Pingumann 2018-07-31 17:56:53)

@QElectroTech Team:

Getting used to the QElectroTech app. It is quite versatile.

Using Version 0.70-dev r5437 on MacOS. With this version the mouse activates connections below the selected elements but not allow selection of the element itself (very erratic. An application re-start is required to be able to select the elements again.

I'd rather stick to the original version I started with - V 0.70-dev r5449. Setting automatic saving every minute to keep the edits as far as possible, in case it crashes. In a pop-up Box, MacOS prompts for a restart or cancel with one click after a crash. If restarted, the QElectroTech app opens a backup copy when it is restarted. The interrupting restarts are a pain in the ass, but it works for about 15-30 minutes in-between.

Hope you find the culprit that makes the app crash. I already have a crash report for Versions V 0.70-dev r5444 and V 0.70-dev r5437. I will make a crash report for V 0.70-dev r5449 when it crashes again.
If you can use the crash reports, i can send them to you.

Please let me know if you have a new version ready.

8 (edited by Pingumann 2018-07-31 18:17:51)

I see you have the source code available.

I will try to compile on my system. See if it helps.

Do I have to use Qt 4.4 library, or can I also install Qt 4.8 library for the compile?

I see that the documents to compile mentions:

• qelectrotech-0.2.tar.gz

• qelectrotech-trunk.tar.gz

• qelectrotech-0.3.tar.gz

Is the source for qelectrotech 0.70-dev r5449.tar.gz also available?

Thanks for testing versions.

Yes you could install subversion client (installed by Xcode), Qt 5.11 library,  Xcode, qtcreator if you want a IDE, etc

You need ~30 Gio free on your disk.

To download latest sources on trunk branch use :

svn checkout svn://svn.tuxfamily.org/svnroot/qet/qet/trunk qelectrotech_trunk

Use "svn up"  command to get latest commit and refresh your local copy of trunk sources.

MacOS packaging on wiki :
The French page is more documented than the English one

https://qelectrotech.org/wiki_new/doc/macosx

BTW, have you tried to delete QET config file to see if it crash again?

$HOME/Library/Preferences/QElectroTech/QElectroTech.plist

I uploaded r5461, but I think that not fix your crash.

https://svnweb.tuxfamily.org/log.php?re … dir=1&