Topic: How Qelectrotech manages old projects

Hello
I am just starting with Qelectrotech. Anyone knows how Qelectrotech manages old projects and libraries? Currently I am using KiCAD and I fount out that if I don't copy old libraries or cache library separately of the project I am loosing symbols in schematics with new version of KiCAD. Is there any problem when switching to new version of Qelectrotech. I opened project with older version and warning appeared that symbols can fail to load. What is the right way to preserve project for future use?

Re: How Qelectrotech manages old projects

1) Data: QET like many other (but not all) design programs store used elements inside the design file, so no other data file should be necessary.

2) Program: there is never a guarantee that a later version of the design program can read a design file made with a many years earlier version.  So, please save a copy of the program installer the design was last saved with.  If you compile locally: all Qt thingys for that, and all sources of QET...

3) OS: Keep a install .iso or similar for the OS, and updates, and additions needed (Qt?)...

4) Hardware: keep hardware around many years (in this case for installing OS in case an emulator do not work)...  I recently had to borrow hardware to interface with a 30+ year controller from abroad...

Proprietary software often prohibits 2)&3), one reason libre software is much more reliable using.  4) may be a challenge after 30 years, it may be broken by age...

Hi,

since 0.2 version QET save in project  *.qet file elements imported in diagrams, titleblocks, project config, etc in a open free format XML .
We strive to always be backward compatible with old version and thus always be able to open an old project, when we can.
You could found on download site old releases, tarball sources files, and packaged files too.

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/tags/20100313/
Like this : on https://qelectrotech.org/download.html.en

Download older stable versions
Click on + to show the links.
+ [2015.02.20] version 0.4

+ [2013.09.28] version 0.3

+ [2010.03.13] version 0.22

+ [2010.03.13] version 0.22

Sources - platform-independant
Installer - Windows XP / Vista / Seven
Ready to use version - Windows XP / Vista / Seven
Qt 4.5.3 libraries for Windows XP / Vista / Seven
Slackware 13 packages (built from slacky.eu's SlackBuild): i686 (by Xavier) or x86_64 (by David)
Fedora packages kindly provided by Remi Collet
This version of QElectroTech is available in Gentoo (Thanks to Markos `Hwoarang' Chandras).
This version of QElectroTech is available in Mandriva Cooker (Thanks to trem).
MacOS package (Snow Leopard) --see also the installation guide (Thanks to Dominique Larcher).

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/tags/

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Thank you for your answer. This is great software and it will make my life easier.