Topic: Suggestion: Have automatic conductor creation disabled by default.

It is too easy to make erroneous connections when user is not expecting this.

BTW

§ Translation of button help bubble "Automatic creation conductor (s)"  -> "Automatic conductor creation"
§ If the mode could be momentarily activated by holding a modifier key (shift?) it would be great nomicons/smile

Re: Suggestion: Have automatic conductor creation disabled by default.

Just click on button for deselect function.

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

That does not change the default state...

§ If the mode could be momentarily activated by holding a modifier key (shift?) it would be great 

I do not think it's better. I and all, use Automatic conductor creation in all time, but they can deselect it only in certain circumstances.

Added a shortcut key to switch mode quickly, perhaps ... but new guys never use it. nomicons/grin

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

We probably design very different shemas.
Example: when i put a PLC I/O unit next to a VFD, chances are extremely small that more than one automatic connector is correct. And if i move either a bit with automatic connection enabled, i get ten wrong connections...
I have (almost) learnt to always remember to disable the feature every time i start QET.

But yes automatic connection it is very usable *sometimes* nomicons/smile

A circuit board schema CAD i used years ago worked like this: if i drop/move an element so connector lie on top of another element, they connect (got registered to same networks), then i move it to correct position.

@ Morganol

it's not a big issue to disable the "automatic connector creation": you're only ONE CLICK away from it ;-)
Most of the users find the functionality very usefull. And it was implemented because of requests of many users (QET v0.4 does not have it).
I personaly only disable the functionality when I'm drawing some terminal strip diagrams or when I'm changing an already done circuitry to avoid that some automatic created conductors appear at the wrong place.

Morganol wrote:

§ If the mode could be momentarily activated by holding a modifier key (shift?) it would be great nomicons/smile

I think too: button to activate/desactive function should be interesting.

galexis wrote:
Morganol wrote:

I think too: button to activate/desactive function should be interesting.

Heuu, this 's it a QAction coded  in switch ! ONE click on this icon/button for disabling auto conductor.... and other ONE click for enable.https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img/autoconductor.png
https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img/autoconducteurs.png

I will watch "perhaps" to store button state in config, but I think which is not useful, and need more work for nothing.

9 (edited by Morganol 2017-01-30 17:25:42)

Maybe i just try to cram unusually much into one page...

EDIT, add:
Just to describe how i use it for my so far third project in QET:
Most of the time i do other things: program PLC, source parts, manufacture special cirquit board, some mechanics, lead project.

Then i occasionally fire up QET to adjust the drawing: add some info, backannotate from real world, rearrange something, and bam - i have many erroneous connections if i had forgotten to shut of automatic connections.
-Thank you for the undo function!  nomicons/smile

@Morganol :

could you compil and try newest revision 4900, please?

I made a lot of changes in the code, I can't try all QET functions before building all packages.
If you can try a little this big change I would be very happy, thanks.

Will use it now and then coming week beginning later today.
Thank you for all work you put into this project  nomicons/smile

Thanks, BTW this commit crashe QET on old distribs perhaps they don't support  C++ 11, like Debian Stable aka Jessie (verified), and surely also Ubuntu 14.04 aka trusty!

I need to try QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -std=c++1y for Jessie....
https://wiki.debian.org/GCC5

But, if it can resolve stranges bugs we have, that a good think, otherwise we wait users tests before add other codes, in order to facilitate revert if is need !

13 (edited by Morganol 2017-02-05 17:46:16)

@ 4901, Quick check: It crashes immediately on opening a drawing
- even a brand new drawing now created with it, place one element, save, close, open -> crash nomicons/sad

Do you want me to check something specific?

Post's attachments

Screenshot_20170205_164316.png, 93.82 kb, 999 x 399
Screenshot_20170205_164316.png 93.82 kb, 394 downloads since 2017-02-05 

gcc-c++ version 5.4.0

15 (edited by Morganol 2017-02-05 18:01:02)

Never been in this land before... I just read your note above and added option like in image below, but i get result:

***Unknown option -std=c++1y
16:57:50: The process "/bin/qmake" exited with code 1.

[color=#333333]
What can i try?
[/color]

Post's attachments

Screenshot_20170205_165934.png, 55.7 kb, 787 x 297
Screenshot_20170205_165934.png 55.7 kb, 395 downloads since 2017-02-05 

No, I saw with Joshua and we think is more prudent to report this big change after the release, I prefer revert it.

OK, i go back to 4899 for now.

No, I just push r4902.
r4900 run very well here, I think only distribs with old Qt have crashes.
I upload new builds.