Topic: Variables, constants... i like such :)

...Even better if i know how to use them nomicons/grin

First, i am not sure how all variables in folio properties are intended to be used.
Do we have some description of the concept/idea?

Title
File
Folio
Plants

And i also see some other variables can be put in those fields, and the results from those fields used as variables in i.e title blocks.

Do we have some overview of what variables can be used where and when and when they are defined where?

I also have not understood what a "Reports folio" is. When is it generated, and how?

I played with the "Label of report folio" field and raised my hands in joy \o/ as it suddenly happened what i was about to ask for: I want the sheet referencing labels to show not only page number and coordinate, but also a short name of that part of equipment.

Just playing along for now, i entered %M_%LM_%F_%f-%l%c, and the result is as per screenshot below.
That is a bit overloaded, i probably only want to use Folio or Location ( plus _%f-%l%c ) in sheet referencing.

I am not sure how Folio is intended to be used i guess i can have several pages with same Folio value? ( i.e several pages for same electric box )

I am thinking, maybe there should be separate fields to enter formulas for sheet referencing label, respectively "Reports folio" whatever that is?

BTW, how do i make the .qet filename show in title blocks?

Post's attachments

Screenshot_20161020_104314.png, 20.84 kb, 339 x 345
Screenshot_20161020_104314.png 20.84 kb, 408 downloads since 2016-10-20 

2 (edited by Nuri 2016-10-20 15:28:09)

Re: Variables, constants... i like such :)

First, i am not sure how all variables in folio properties are intended to be used.

like you did in your screenshot nomicons/smile

No, these concepts are pretty new (only in 0.51 devel) and were developped by Davi.
See here for more informations:
forum topic
There is an online manual but it's not finished and it was written for QET v0.4.
For sure, it would be nice to explain the variable concept in the online manual.

Do we have some overview of what variables can be used where and when and when they are defined where?

no, not at the moment. If you have some ideas how this could be shown in the GUI, please explain them.
I think we need to integrate in the GUI some URL to the online manual to automatically open in a web browser.
It would be the easiest way to keep informations up to date. But the online manual must be written by some people how can correctly write in english...

I also have not understood what a "Reports folio" is

They are the arrows to interrupt a conductor that is continued on another folio. In my opinion, "reports folio" is not a good translation. Some proposals?

I am not sure how Folio is intended to be used

by default, QET can only number folio in a continuous way (1, 2, 3, 4...)
If you want something else, you can write the folio number in the field "folio" and check the option "Use labels of folio instead of their ID" in the QET settings window.

BTW, how do i make the .qet filename show in title blocks?

type it by hand! There is no function that automatically writes the filename in it.

I think we need to integrate in the GUI some URL to the online manual to automatically open in a web browser.

Heuu ... is already in about menu, or just enter F1 key for open web browser to online manual. 
OK is only open English manual now, but russian guys can change URL for russian translation.

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/j … ET_ru.html

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

For report folio see these videos :

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

5 (edited by Morganol 2016-10-20 17:04:48)

Than you Nuri for quick and well written information nomicons/smile

Nuri wrote:

like you did in your screenshot nomicons/smile

Then it is like i want it to be already nomicons/grin

Nuri wrote:

No, these concepts are pretty new (only in 0.51 devel) and were developped by Davi.
See here for more informations:
forum topic
There is an online manual but it's not finished and it was written for QET v0.4.
For sure, it would be nice to explain the variable concept in the online manual.

That forum topic link do not work...

I like that manual. I think it is well designed and written.  It "just" need to be extended and updated...  by someone having the time

no, not at the moment. If you have some ideas how this could be shown in the GUI, please explain them.
It would be the easiest way to keep informations up to date. But the online manual must be written by some people how can correctly write in english...

I see there are already short explanations here and there where variables can be defined and used.
IMO, you should keep those short explanations there, (make sure they are complete and correct, but short) and every such place link to a chapter that carries full information; beginning by why, concept, how to use by simple example, then a table(?) listing all variables and where they can be set, then listing or explaining where they can be used.  And some syntactic how they can be combined, what characters are legal, etc.

It would be good if manual could be installed locally, by distro package or manually downloaded and uncompressed some specific place that works with those links.  Not everybody have internet access always. 

I also have not understood what a "Reports folio" is

They are the arrows to interrupt a conductor that is continued on another folio. In my opinion, "reports folio" is not a good translation. Some proposals?

Ah. I completely misunderstood that naming. ( To me it sounded like some report that can be generated onto some page. )

Why not use the naming "Sheet referencing" as that is already how the element section is named that contain the linking elements
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Chemin de la collection : common://10_electric/10_allpole/100_sheet_referencing
Chemin dans le système de fichiers : /usr/local/share/qelectrotech/elements/10_electric/10_allpole/100_sheet_referencing

I also have seen them named "ports", "off page connector", "signal flag" and such.  I think "port" is short and tells what it is, while "sheet referencing" tells what it does.. so ...  "sheet referenced port" tell whole story but is too long...   ... whatever, just use *same* name everywhere  IMO, and ask whoever set the original name about it before changing from "Sheet referencing".

...To say it short: change "Reports folio" to "Sheet referencing" - few changes, much better to understand.

EDIT: "Label of report folio" -> "Label of Sheet referencing symbols"  /EDIT

I am not sure how Folio is intended to be used

by default, QET can only number folio in a continuous way (1, 2, 3, 4...)
If you want something else, you can write the folio number in the field "folio" and check the option "Use labels of folio instead of their ID" in the QET settings window.

OK.
It seems i can also there write a short name for a small part of the system, have that same short name for more than one page, and to differentiate the pages in the inset, i can there use variables directly in that template: %folio-id(%folio-total)

BTW, how do i make the .qet file name show in title blocks?

type it by hand! There is no function that automatically writes the file name in it.

IMO, there should be a variable carrying the file name, and be usable in the title block

I often save many slightly different versions of my work, differentiated only by some number at end of file name.
Both when sketching different design solutions, and/or different ways to divide it onto pages
... and/or using software that crashes nomicons/wink

Great videos nomicons/smile

@ Morganol:

Morganol wrote:

That forum topic link do not work...

sorry, I made a typo. Here is the link:
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=858
it's a long thread but I think it's better to read it completely.

About "reports folio", I think we will change to "folio referencing".
I don't like to use the word "sheet" because it is not used in QET. I'm able to make this change in the source code but I have no time for this these days. Maybe next week nomicons/whistling

If you see other strange translations or missused words in the english GUI, please send me an email:
nuri@qelectrotech.org
I never use the english GUI, only the german one because I'm living in Germany and I maintain the german GUI. But I already saw that many sentences could be better in the english GUI.

Another question that could be interesting for the development of QET:
Do you know and do you use the standard IEC 81346?
This standard is the reason why the fields "location" and "plant" were implemented in the v0.51 devel.

8 (edited by Nuri 2016-10-21 08:50:25)

scorpio810 wrote:

Heuu ... is already in about menu, or just enter F1 key for open web browser to online manual.
OK is only open English manual now, but russian guys can change URL for russian translation.

I know, I know...nomicons/wink

I mean something like that (see screenshot).
Of course it only makes sense when the online manual is complete.

Post's attachments

nuri_url_in_gui_01.png, 117.34 kb, 1096 x 749
nuri_url_in_gui_01.png 117.34 kb, 386 downloads since 2016-10-21 

9 (edited by Morganol 2016-10-21 12:07:14)

Thanks for the link, i will digest that later.

About "reports folio", I think we will change to "folio referencing".
I don't like to use the word "sheet" because it is not used in QET. I'm able to make this change in the source code but I have no time for this these days. Maybe next week nomicons/whistling

Today the actual elements are named "Sheet referencing" in english translation.
But i agree, if qet generally everywhere else use "folio" instead of "sheet" then it should be "folio referencing"

Then for clarity we also need to rename the elements folder to "Folio referencing".

I would also suggest to rename elements to "To folio" instead of "Next folio" and "From folio" instead of "Previous folio"
Because Previous and Next at least to me also could mean the folder before / after - in printed page order - which it is not here.

While at it, i suggest to move the referencing elements folder out of the electrical top folder, as it is not limited to electrical, but can be used for pneumatic, hydraulic etc too, so it should not hide deep in there (see attached screen capture)

Maybe create a new top folder "Universal" and put the "Folio referencing" folder there?
In future i envision there may come some some general symbols in other folders there, example an "Arrows" folder, "People", "Buildings", "Warning signs" etc

If you see other strange translations or missused words in the english GUI, please send me an email:
nuri@qelectrotech.org
I never use the english GUI, only the german one because I'm living in Germany and I maintain the german GUI. But I already saw that many sentences could be better in the english GUI.

Another question that could be interesting for the development of QET:
Do you know and do you use the standard IEC 81346?
This standard is the reason why the fields "location" and "plant" were implemented in the v0.51 devel.

Nuri, I will mail you regarding some other english translation suggestions within an hour.

No unfortunately I dont know much standards...

Post's attachments

Screenshot_20161021_115847.png, 9.07 kb, 265 x 146
Screenshot_20161021_115847.png 9.07 kb, 360 downloads since 2016-10-21