Topic: Increase the font size in items and sheets.

Hello everyone, and happy new year to all members.

Congratulations to the developer! The latest releases is very good!
Both when working with macOS (Catalina) and Linux (Debian 11) it no longer systematically crashes (very, very rarely)...
It's a shame that the same fonts are not found between the 2 OS and sometimes they have differences in size!

Some colleagues complain that the size of the labels in the symbols (Sans Sherif 7) and/or the contact numbers (Sans Sherif 5) are too small and they struggle to read on A4 paper, and ask me to increase the size of the characters.

Since there are over 20,000 elements in the library (5-600 of the most used obviously...) and modifying them all is quite a problem,  how is it possible to change the font size all at the same time without causing damage?
....and then be able to upgrade the projects already done a year ago...?

I tried to modify them in the elements with a text editor that searches inside each element in the library: ..../QElectro/QE/elements/10_electric/10_allpole/
the type string (sans Sherif,5) and replaces it e.g. with (Arial, 7)

1)es:
Search: Microsoft Sans Serif,9
replace with: Arial,12

2) es..:
searh: Sans Sherif,5
replace with: Arial,7

(See detail below)

It worked and this way it changes them all quickly...
But I'm afraid of doing some damage on other lines...

Is there a way to do this without causing damage?

THEN,
I reloaded both the libraries and the sheets but the characters in the sheets don't change.
The element in the library that I insert as new instead has the characters with the correct modified dimensions.
So how do I update the sheets without having to change the elements one by one?
Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Post's attachments

Schermata 2023-12-31 alle 19.31.12.png, 47.25 kb, 1034 x 459
Schermata 2023-12-31 alle 19.31.12.png 47.25 kb, 23 downloads since 2024-01-03 

Re: Increase the font size in items and sheets.

Fonts have been a problem with computer systems, for ages!  Especially when it is supposed to look the same across operating systems and languages.

If you try to familiarise yourself with the subject, you will quickly find evidence that the terms "font" and "font family" are often confused!
As an example: "Sans Serif" is the description of a family of fonts that have no serifs. The actual font behind it depends on what the user has set for it on their system. The same applies to "MS Shell Dlg 2": It's a replacement-name for any font the user sets in the registry ... this can even be "Symbol" or "DingBats"!
And: The operating system supplier often sets different fonts depending on the country.

This of course makes it difficult for software developers and users to get a clear line so that it looks the same across operating systems and languages. This is particularly noticeable to users who are working on different systems.

When you search the forum for "font" and "size", you'll find tons of messages about this topic!

Leelo Tiz cnge eleent in fonction, you need to change for these elements akso the UID/
see my script bash linux
https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/scripts/

Hi,

ut obviously I agree with what you say, in fact as I said, it's a shame that the different systems don't find the same fonts but adapt in some way.
For example, Linux uses the character "NOTO" a lot, which makes it look like dozens of similar characters found in macOS or MS, and also translated into many different languages.
What I was asking was if anyone can give me information on the possibility of being able to "enlarge" the size of the font (be it MS, or anonymous Sans or something else in one go (e.g. a script) because it is unimaginable to go and make the change on each element, and then onto the projects...
As I did, with a simple text editor I succeeded but I don't know if I cause damage on other lines of the program, perhaps creating a bug...  understand?

With the editor I can search in all the strings of the element (or the project), the combination "Sans Sherif,5"... or "MS Shell Dlg 2 ,5" and tell it to replace it with the string: Sans Sherif, 7 or "NOTO,7", or whatever. The important thing is to increase it from 5 to 7 or others bring them from 7 to 9!

The doubt remains whether by doing so I am NOT modifying a string which could then create a bug...

Here's where my question lies, "be able to enlarge a character" some font sizes without altering the element sizes (while still keeping the same dimensions as the original title block (columns/rows/pixes) and sheet (A4).

Then obviously how to update the elements already inserted in the sheet.

Thanks.

Best regards.

Hello Tiz,
change element in collection police size, you need to change for these elements akso the UUID/
Put these element in other directory:
see my script bash linux
https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/s … en_uuid.sh

After you re drad and dropt thise eleement un menu appair chose owervrite all elements placed by the news.

Other workatound it 's to edit XML .qet file.Please backup your projects before try.

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

tiz.meneghe wrote:

The doubt remains whether by doing so I am NOT modifying a string which could then create a bug...

Here's where my question lies, "be able to enlarge a character" some font sizes without altering the element sizes (while still keeping the same dimensions as the original title block (columns/rows/pixes) and sheet (A4).

Then obviously how to update the elements already inserted in the sheet.

You should extend the search text to the tag that precedes it. For example

font="Sans Serif,5 

If you make the changes only in your project files (*.qet), all elements contained therein should be changed. The element collections are then not affected. Automatic reversion is not provided.
If you then want to keep those modified Elements, you can create a new collection for yourself and then also change the UUIDs like Laurent said.
But keep in mind: Have a backup of the project! nomicons/wink

Hi,

I will use these helpful tips.
I already made backups before trying the editor (and it worked)...
Now I follow your instructions.

Thanks Scorpio810
thank you plc-user