Topic: Cable and connector reference designators according to standard EN IEC

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding info on how to designate and label wires (-Wx) and connectors (-Xy).
Suppose I have an M8 extension for a sensor with cable attached, and the other end is connected to a distributor box (e.g. at socket 2). Which part gets which designator? Do both parts of a coupling (male/female) get the same ID? E.g.

-B1 ... -X1 -X1 ... -X2 -W1 -X3:2 -X3:2

Or each their own?

-B1 ... -X1 -X2 ... -X3 -W1 -X4 -X5:2

Where can I find this in the respective IEC standard?

And would the sensor's (attached) cable have a repeat -B1 designator near the connector?

Thanks!

Re: Cable and connector reference designators according to standard EN IEC

In another context I recommended the "Eaton Schaltungsbuch" formerly known as "Klöckner-Möller-Schaltungsbuch" nomicons/wink

https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopi … 215#p19215

There you find on PDF-page 504 that it should be EN IEC 81346-2 (see attachment)
On page 10-3 there are some examples from that standard.
But I don't know if QET follows this standard 1:1 ...

Post's attachments

Bildschirmfoto_2023-12-16.png, 52.6 kb, 359 x 478
Bildschirmfoto_2023-12-16.png 52.6 kb, 30 downloads since 2023-12-16 

Danke, EN IEC 81346-2 specifies how the designators are made up by classification. So my "-W"s would actually be "-WGAx" and "-X" would need to be "-XG".
But it does not appear to consider the relations between objects.

61666 and 62491 seem like the right places to look for that.

I might go with "mixed labelling", e.g. "-XG1 / -WGA1 / -XG2" although it would be nice to have mating parts identifyable (to match, but also uniquely). Not sure how to achieve that...?

4 (edited by tynsareatger08 2024-01-03 06:21:44)

me wrote:

Danke, EN IEC 81346-2 specifies how the designators are made up by classification. So my "-W"s would actually be "-WGAx" and "-X" would need to be "-XG".
But it does not appear to consider the relations between objects.
drift boss
61666 and 62491 seem like the right places to look for that.

I might go with "mixed labelling", e.g. "-XG1 / -WGA1 / -XG2" although it would be nice to have mating parts identifyable (to match, but also uniquely). Not sure how to achieve that...?

I have the same question. Any know this?

Look.

https://www.81346.com/81346-2