Topic: More text editing options

Hello everyone,

I recently started to use Qelectrotech in my projects and I'm currently making a lot of my own symbols (rewriting my other symbol library from some CAD software) and there is some thing really bothering me.

If I make a symbol, I used to put the label on the left side of it. It's just the way we do it in my country (I'm from Poland by the way).
Everything is fine if I have labels like F1, K4 oraz P5, but if I get to two-digit labels, I then have to push everything more to the left because it is overlapping my symbol.

I would really like the option to right-justify the text or to center it.
Maybe I didn't see that option?

And more, it would be really convenient if the label was forced to stay in the place (if I have a simple NO contact and I turn it 180 degrees, my label travels from left to right side of the symbol - I would like to stay on the left side).

How do you deal with such things?

Re: More text editing options

A long time ago (2 or 3 years?) I already asked for an option to aligned the texts to the right as I also put all texts on the left side of every symbol, like you.
In the early development years of QElectroTech (2008-2013) the main developer tried to implement this function but did not really manage to achieve the work. Unfortunately I'm not able to give you more technical details since this subject requires founded skills in the Qt framework.

I think it would be technically possible to implement this option (for example, QCAD is also a Qt application and it can really good manage this text alignement stuff) but it needs a lot of work. At the moment, nobody in the team is able to make this without creating new bugs or display errors. And find the time to do this...
Since it's really easy to place labels with the mouse or rotating them with the space key, I don't think this option will be implemented soon.

What I do to workaround this small issue:
I draw my symbol and then place the label always on the left with enough distance to the symbol.
Then, when I drag&drop a symbol onto the schematic drawing area, I always place correctly the label field by hand. For accurate label placing, press the Strg key and grab the label with the mouse at the place you want.

Thanks for the answer.

At first I assumed that it would be something like CSS's "text-align: right", but I see now that it's far more complicated.

I will try to deal with it just like you are. Thanks for the Strg key tip (on my keyboard it's Ctrl). I didn't know it.

In the past, I have added HTML support for elements text like edit text field in diagram, I can change element text size, element color text directly in diagram, etc, but I reverted this !

Why ?
this addon increase size of a QET project X 10, and I do not want it.

Example : 

<inputs>
            <input y="303.282" x="464.885" text="&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN&quot; &quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd&quot;>&#xa;&lt;html>&lt;head>&lt;meta name=&quot;qrichtext&quot; content=&quot;1&quot; />&lt;style type=&quot;text/css&quot;>&#xa;p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }&#xa;&lt;/style>&lt;/head>&lt;body style=&quot; font-family:'Sans Serif'; font-size:9pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal;&quot;>&#xa;&lt;p style=&quot; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;&quot;>&lt;span style=&quot; font-family:'Noto Sans'; font-size:14pt; font-weight:600; text-decoration: underline;&quot;>test&lt;/span>&lt;/p>&lt;/body>&lt;/html>"/>
        </inputs>

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Hello!
Maybe just to make another text object with text editing options?
Simple text and Ext text )

I do not want to create a new topic, so I'll ask here:

Positioning labels with Ctrl key (or Strg Key), is very precise but I cannot place every label in the EXACT same distance from element. It is easy to see when there is a lot of elements close to each other.

But I figured that everything would be fine if I could make the drawing grid... thicker?. Now it's like 10x10. If I had 2x2 or 1x1 grid, I would be able to place my labels very precisely and it would snap more accurately near the elements.

I tried to find that option, but it seems not to be present there.

Is there a way to make the grid more condensed?

No option for change snap grid for the moment, perhaps in the future?

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."