Topic: BUG?: Save remains disabled after certain project changes

Issue: There are many changes you can make to a Project which cannot be saved because the Save function remains Greyed out. Eg:  Change order of sheets, Create/Update/Delete custom property in Project Properties | General tab.

Version:  QElectroTech V 0.51-dev+svn4833

Workaround:  Move an element on a sheet until the Save function is enable.

Comment: Can't the Save function be enabled all the time?  most other software lets you save whenever you like.

Off Topic:  Word of Encouragement

I see an awesome application taking shape in QET!

Re: BUG?: Save remains disabled after certain project changes

Hello patricknogara,

some actions on a project are not taken into account in the undo/redo stack and these issues are known by the developpers.
This is not a bug, only functionalities that are not completely achieved.
Sometimes I use the same workaround as you to save changes that were not seen as changes (order of folios, etc.).

Hello,

other workaround for the moment, save as and overwrite the project file.

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Comment: Can't the Save function be enabled all the time?  most other software lets you save whenever you like.

No, isn't useful if not change detected.

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Thanks Gents.

Another workaround is to use save as, and save to same file.

On the subject of saving, i cant see what file i have open; i see project name, but not file name anywhere.. am i not looking in the right place?

7 (edited by Nuri 2017-01-09 13:59:49)

I also miss a field where I can see what for project I'm currently editing.
I think the top window bar is a good place to show the edited file name. At the moment it's only showing "QElectroTech".
It would be nice if something like that could be implemented:
"QElectroTech - Project: myblablablaproject.qet"

Of course, the "myblablablaproject.qet" input should be updated when the user switch between several opened projects.

What would be really nice is to have QET set variables of filename, path, time, date when opening and saving the file, https://qelectrotech.org/bugtracker/view.php?id=111

Then they are easily made visible on document template both when editing and on pdf and paper print.

Nuri wrote:

It would be nice if something like that could be implemented:
"QElectroTech - Project: myblablablaproject.qet" 

Morganol wrote:

What would be really nice is to have QET set variables of filename, path, time, date when opening and saving the file, Then they are easily made visible on document template both when editing and on pdf and paper print.

nomicons/blink  nomicons/blink 

mockup screens, how, etc...........

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img/tree-swing-project-management-medium.jpg

The final product after a few more iterations of the process

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img/save_path.png

¬°/

10 (edited by Nuri 2017-01-09 23:34:08)

nomicons/smiley-green nomicons/gne nomicons/smiley-green

Post's attachments

Attachment icon nothing_on_ubuntu.png 211.91 kb, 166 downloads since 2017-01-09 

nomicons/whistling

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img/nuri_path.png

nomicons/smiley-green

Revision: 4838
Author:   scorpio810
Date:     2017-01-10 02:35:44 +0100 (Tue, 10 Jan 2017)
Log Message:
-----------
Add project path argument when a project has modified in the displayed
project title on the diagram view

Enjoy !

Making the project path and filename visible in the SW was a good idea and generally speaking, very handy.

It was absolutely necessary to aid the work around of doing a "Save As".

FEATURE REQST: Any chance the project filename could be added as the default file name in the "Save As" dialog?

This would mean only requiring to pressing OK and you're done - safely.

Otherwise the work around leaves the possibility of making mistakes : you still have to enter the file name or click on a the matching file. In a directory filled with numerous and similarly named files there is a chance you could pick the wrong file.

Cheers
Patrick

PS : I still prefer the idea of just leaving the Save function enabled all the time - just One Click and you're done with no chance of making a mistake. 

It is not that I disagree with Scorpio - yes, ideally Save should only be needed when a change is detected, but hey!, we are at version 0.5 not 5.0 - the change detection code is incomplete.

"Save" enabled all the time is a workaround that would be easy to live with.

Apologies if I am being a PITA.

Thank you Scorpio for the commit!

About the save function: I totally agree with Morganol, it would be better to always enable the "save" button. I think it's also much easier for Joshua to do this way because he doesn't have to monitor any changes to know if the button has to be grayed or not.
And if the user saves one more time his project without changes, there is no problem too: the current project is overwritten with the same content. It means, from a user point of view, always enabling the save button does not create any problem.

But I not agree with the feature request of Morganol about the "save as" functionality: adding the project file name in the dialog would add more risk to overwrite an existing "good version" of a project. When I'm working with QET, I make 2 or 3 incremental backups of my project per day and these backups are always named differently (with date und time stamp).

15 (edited by patricknogara 2017-01-10 12:25:52)

Nuri, I agree, the suggestion to have a default file name in the "Save As" dialog has potential problems and so not a perfect option.

But this is what you get when you try and put a a work around on the work around. Yuk...a slippery slope. 

Save-enabled-all-the-time seems good enough for all the Open Office and Libre Office crews. Hope we can convince Scorpio nomicons/smile

Nuri wrote:

But I not agree with the feature request of Morganol about the "save as" functionality: adding the project file name in the dialog would add more risk to overwrite an existing "good version" of a project.

Oh, i just meant as workaround: use the Save As button - because it is never greyed out.  It then opens the folder from which you opened a file and you can click a file to have that name filled in, and then i usually edit the rev number in end of filename;

I often save to new file names in an ever increasing number, like shema-01, shema-02, shema-03...

I once had a program where i could enable autosave, and it then upped that number automatically each time.

I would not like autosave in QET, but maybe a future idea could be to have Save As to automatically up a last number in filname if it exist (i.e my scanner software do that)

17 (edited by Morganol 2017-01-10 20:25:54)

Thank you nomicons/smile
Filename of project of folio in view is now displayed in QET program window title - like is common in many other programs -perfect nomicons/smile

Screenshot from Plasma on Mageia 6.

[s]I just wonder why not show it directly but just after file have been edited?[/s]
[s](Think scenario you open a few projects to view for reference or cut/paste from)
[/s]EDIT: Now i see it is updated immediately, r4840 /EDIT

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Filename in window frame.png 53.66 kb, 160 downloads since 2017-01-10 

scorpio810 wrote:
Morganol wrote:

What would be really nice is to have QET set variables of filename, path, time, date when opening and saving the file, Then they are easily made visible on document template both when editing and on pdf and paper print.

nomicons/blink  nomicons/blink 

mockup screens, how, etc...........

Better now? : https://qelectrotech.org/bugtracker/vie … d=111#c229

Save-enabled-all-the-time seems good enough for all the Open Office and Libre Office crews. Hope we can convince Scorpio 

For me is a bad idea, but if you want ....nomicons/rolleyes

Revision: 4840
Date:     2017-01-10 15:56:34 +0100 (Tue, 10 Jan 2017)
Log Message:
-----------
Minor : Save file has always enabled
Project path argument is now always displayed on diagram view

20 (edited by patricknogara 2017-01-11 00:42:31)

Thanks for being flexible, Scorpio.

Just one final suggestion : can you have Save become enabled in the same way as the Save As button - that is, only when one or more projects are open. Having Save enabled with no projects open is a little freaky.

Cheers

Flexible me, not always, but we are listening you ! 
After we cut.  nomicons/tongue

Revision: 4842
Date:     2017-01-11 01:04:43 +0100 (Wed, 11 Jan 2017)
Log Message:
-----------
Minor : save file set enabled only when opened a project

22 (edited by patricknogara 2017-01-11 06:45:49)

Revision: 4842

After we cut.  20x20

[left]Merci beaucoup monsieur.

If my head is on the chopping block then I am here for a good time not a long time.
I better post more requests while I still can nomicons/wink [/left]

Mouarff, warn ! guillotine is a french invention too, badly and evil but french. nomicons/wink

24 (edited by patricknogara 2017-01-11 23:25:47)

Mouarff, warn ! guillotine is a french invention too, badly and evil but french. 20x20

I know! I know! 

And it looks like the blade has come down on on the nightly branches?

The "head" revision, 4842, is missing! nomicons/w00t

[EDIT-12Jan2017]  ...oh, no there it is.

Lets not post improvement suggestions on guillotine here then... nomicons/wink
- And that piece of invention is not one i am going to test on myself and feedback on !