Topic: backup image on temporary

Hi, all

Since it crashes while working (with LINUX less frequent), I had to set the backup time from 10min, to 5, and now to 2min.
Unfortunately, continuous writing to SSD leads to premature disk degradation.

Wouldn't it be useful to create a mirror image of the project (similar to RAID or mirror) in RAM, and which could be reloaded after the crash?
It already does this after the crash, but many times it reloads on previous saves...

The blackout remains but it's not a problem, with UPS then...
Reload the last backup saved on SSD, ok.

cordiality.

Re: backup image on temporary

Hi,

is a real Linux install on your PC or a Linux VM on your MAC?
What actions cause the crash?

Don't be afraid for your SSD, QET projects are very small and won't wear out your SSD.

For big projects I use this tip since 20 years: open project and save as date format yyyy/mm/dd_my_project.qet, each day i work on it.
Like: 2022-7-23_Vibrafloor.qet

ls -al | grep Vibrafloor.qet
-rw-r--r--  1 laurent laurent  5591356 30 juin   2022 2022-5-28_Vibrafloor.qet
-rw-r--r--  1 laurent laurent  5543797  2 juil.  2022 2022-7-01_Vibrafloor.qet
-rw-r--r--  1 laurent laurent  6322642 11 nov.  14:54 2022-7-23_Vibrafloor.qet

Cordially.

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Hi, Laurent

is a VM on macOS Kubuntu 22.10 KDE 5.25.5 with 2GbRAM .
Here it rarely crashes...
QE on MacOS a little more and on Windows10 (VM 8GbRAM) many times and I don't use it anymore.

Last year I also sent you the report generated by OS Catalina 10.15.7 after the application crashed and you said that since you didn't have the simulation you couldn't intervene.

A sequence was certain (I had also posted a video):
When you are in edit elements you were about to exit and click on "save as" but then cancel and then "save". Two times out of three it crashed.

Then they happened randomly while I was working... Almost always while I was selecting and moving objects and I didn't understand why.
I have been working in Kubuntu for two months and I feel good even if I have forgotten many Linux functions after more than 20 years of not using it (unfortunately, electrical and PCB CAD were only on Windows platforms).

I have learned from experience to backup systematically so as not to lose my work.
When I make major changes: ctrl+c, ctl+v and systematically create copies which I then delete at the end of the week...

A good technique they use in CAD SW is to create some temporary copies (3), e.g. every 5-10 mins. which are updated in sequence (even PCB CADs often crash... and these temporary baks help a lot).
A cache mirror to resume crash recovery would be helpful in my opinion and let the backup do its job every 10-15 minutes. out of curiosity where do you save it?

HI

Hi Tiz,

Too bad you don't have a mac with an apple silicon m1 m2 chip, QET arm64 application run very well. If you can try?

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."