1 (edited by Macktek 2021-02-21 00:43:38)

Topic: Search Slow: Partial Fix suggestion here.

Currently the search is VERY slow. There are several issues why this is happening:
1. The search is a REAL TIME search, meaning that as soon as you type "ANY" letter or symbol it will start to search.
2. There is no way to stop it once it starts searching.

So, for example... if I want to search for Button, and I press the letter B, it will now search ALL Items for the letter B, anywhere in their field.
This will take a LONG TIME.

FIX: This can be fixed to some degree by using the following:
Option 1. Force the User to press Enter when they are Ready to search... in other words, change it from "Real Time" to "when search field is populated".

Option 2. Allow user to "Interrupt" the search and Restart it, as soon as you press a new key in the field.

Option 3:  ALLOW Real Time Search to start after User Configurable # of letters/symbols have been entered (Or If Enter Pressed)
For example, the user can set the Real Time to 3 letters...  (or just 1 if that is what they want).
If I want to search for Button...
then the search will ONLY start when I press "But" if I have it set to 3 letters.

To Prove that this idea works... it is simple. Restart QElectroTech (To remove Search Cache)... then
Copy "Button" from here... and paste it into the search. (Don't type it in).
You will see that it is VERY fast.

Next: highlight what you typed into search and press delete.
then just type the letter B into search, and see how long it takes before you can press U.

It will take a LONG time because it literally has to search everything for "B".
(If you repeat this, it does improve, but really, that is because of caching).

Re: Search Slow: Partial Fix suggestion here.

The search start a few time after you type a letter (500ms) and is reseted each time a letter is typed, to let time to user write a complete word (else the search start immediate and the gui freeze).

I still modified the behavior as you suggest, the search start when the word have at least 3 letters.

Regards Joshua.

Développeur QElectroTech

Re: Search Slow: Partial Fix suggestion here.

Hello Joshua,

With the 3 letter fix, it is really improved! Thanks.

Please add, ability to Press Enter as well. Otherwise, it is not possible to search on smaller words like: AI, or A1 etc...