Topic: dxf conversion doesn't work for me

Hi,

At first, thank you for the very nice software I would like to use to document all my projects and possibly contribute somehow.

However I am struggling with the DXF conversion, it just doesn't work for me nomicons/sad

I tried two versions of dxftoelmt, one is the latest pre-built binary, second one my build of latest dxftoelmt-2020 project I found here on the forum. I am on Mac Catalina, and tested workflow is:

1. save the drawing block as a new dxf file in Autocad 2021, during save I tried all versions of AutoCAD available
2. open dxf in the DXFtoQET by clicking on 'open dxf file'
3. open is fine, no problem reported, dxf is recognized in all cases as an ASCII dxf
4. click on 'create QET elmt'
5. click on 'save to elmt file'

this process gives me the .elmt file, but the content is very bad, sometimes it is empty, sometimes the drawing is incomplete.

Attaching the dxf file I tried, could anyone help, please?

Thank you

Post's attachments

Attachment icon test-drawing.dxf.zip 169.82 kb, 208 downloads since 2020-05-02 

2 (edited by S.DEFFAUX 2020-05-02 22:51:03)

Re: dxf conversion doesn't work for me

you want this?

Post's attachments

Attachment icon testdrawing.elmt 1.32 mb, 255 downloads since 2020-05-02 

Oh wow, that is exactly it!

How did you do that? I mean where was the problem, mac? input dxf?

timemaster wrote:

Oh wow, that is exactly it!

How did you do that? I mean where was the problem, mac? input dxf?

i am the best. No I joke, I only did the same operation as you but with Windows.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon testdrawing.elmt 1.38 mb, 227 downloads since 2020-05-02 

Haha nomicons/smile well you are.

Thank you, then it must be a mac problem, I will give it a try in windows. I was desperate today; I spent all day trying to convert this one nomicons/sad

Yes, DXF plugin seem to work but not counter and progressBar..UI freeze., and element converted is empty...on macOS..

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

That's good you could confirm this @scorpio810.

Can I help somehow? I don't know what info I should post and where because there are no errors in my case. But as I said I am able to compile the latest 2020 version. However I am not a coder, but if somebody helps me how to enable some debug or what output I should post I will do it.

Do I use the right AutoCAD version? Maybe there is a way of converting this dxf in Illustrator or something opensource to a better readable format.

I did a fast test on Linux and the situation is the same. I mean very fast processing and empty result (only one terminal in the middle of the drawing, nothing more).

Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit, and this dxftoqet: https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/b … 2/DXFtoQET

Ok, another progress. My mistake is described in the first post. I am supposed to click on Load DXF into process', which I didn't do because the first version of dxftoqet I have ever seen was on Mac and as there is no progress bar there on any sign of life in a log while clicking this button, I thought that it might be for some different use case. Also, I was able to somehow create a partially populated elmt file, but that was probably because I tried that button 'load dxf into process', and then I killed it because I thought it is frozen. That results in a partially populated SQL database whose data were later converted to elmt, during my next try.

So I can confirm that conversion works on Linux and Windows and even on Mac, I just need to wait until the application unfreezes. The log is populated at the end and so the progress bar.

Strange !!! working this morning ...

https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img_2/mac_dxf_catalina1.png
After clean some artifacts.
https://download.qelectrotech.org/qet/forum_img_2/mac_dxf_catalina.png

"Le jour où tu découvres le Libre, tu sais que tu ne pourras jamais plus revenir en arrière..."

Yep, it worked even for me, but no progress bar and log updates after the operation finishes. Otherwise fine.. nomicons/smile

Even on linux UI freeze some times.

Yes, that was my confusion, it seems like something is wrong without a progress bar.
Thank you for all help, I was lost I just thought that the problem is with my dxf.