Topic: Language barrier

Hello guys nomicons/smile

For a very long time, I have been looking for schematic editing program with the following constraints:
- Open source
- Cross platform development and deployment
- Easily extensible / customizable

When I came across QElectroTech a few days ago, it was quite clear to me, that this is just what I am looking for. It looks like a good design, especially the embedded elements is a good detail.

I would like to use QElectroTech as a base for a rather simplistic DSP simulation tool, and have been looking around the code and Doxygen docs, trying to get an overview. However, my french is virtually non-existing, and I keep hitting the language barrier (real hard).

Is there any resources (documentation, forums) in english?

Unfortunately I cannot even volunteer to help in the translation, as I know no french at all...

Re: Language barrier

Hello,

Actually, I chose to write comments (and thus Doxygen-generated documentation) because I prefer being clear using a language that is less common than the all mighty english, rather than being fuzzy in english. If I remember correctly, Doxygen has the ability to handle multiple language comments, so we could try to translate the current comments.
However there is currently no reference documentation written in english. We accept english and spanish on the forum and IRC, the software itself is translated to several languages but the english translation of our wiki is far from even 10 %...

Gray's Law of Programming:
'n+1' trivial tasks are expected to be accomplished in the same time as 'n' tasks.

Logg's Rebuttal to Gray's Law:
'n+1' trivial tasks take twice as long as 'n' trivial tasks

Its not a bad descision, and I have noticed that the program has support for multiple languages, which I find very good.

I just wish I could resuse some of all this code, as it is exactly what I need - guess I'll just have to eyeball the code.

Good morning Flindt and welcome to the forum. The person you can blame for the lack of English documentation is ... me. I am responsible for the English and Spanish translation, but did not dedicate much time.

I do not have plenty of time, so could you tell which documentation would you like to see first translated?

Regards,

Youssef Oualmakran

Good morning yousefsan nomicons/smile

First I realy do not blame anyone, as I am quite aware of the amount of work that has been put into this project.

But as to your question. What I would like to do, is to extend the XML to contain some extra information, like DSP model and setup parameters. Later I'd like to create a netlist (kind a like pspice does), and send this information to a simulation engine.

So the first documentation I need to look at would be in the XML parsing.

Please do not rush anything on my account - I appreciate any pointers and help, but this is only a hobby project that is likely to go nowhere nomicons/smile
However, I would not mind getting to understand this project, then maybe I would be able to help out a bit here later.

From the parts I have seen the design looks pretty solid - have you guys done any design work on this, or is it based on experience?

youssefsan wrote:

Good morning Flindt and welcome to the forum. The person you can blame for the lack of English documentation is ... me. I am responsible for the English and Spanish translation, but did not dedicate much time.

... which is normal since the priority was given to the translation of the application itself.

flindt wrote:

But as to your question. What I would like to do, is to extend the XML to contain some extra information, like DSP model and setup parameters. Later I'd like to create a netlist (kind a like pspice does), and send this information to a simulation engine.

So the first documentation I need to look at would be in the XML parsing.

That would be these pages :

flindt wrote:

Please do not rush anything on my account - I appreciate any pointers and help, but this is only a hobby project that is likely to go nowhere nomicons/smile
However, I would not mind getting to understand this project, then maybe I would be able to help out a bit here later.

So, you don't want to join the development team, but you could send a few patchs in the future, right?

flindt wrote:

From the parts I have seen the design looks pretty solid - have you guys done any design work on this, or is it based on experience?

Well, we use a development method which is very popular here in France : La Rache, aka ISO-1664 nomicons/grin
http://www.cafenware.com/la-rache/zfiles//kro.jpg

'n+1' trivial tasks are expected to be accomplished in the same time as 'n' tasks.

flindt wrote:

I am not sure you should put "guys" in plural since Xavier is the one who coded most of the software on his spare time. Yes he did an amazing job.

I did find the first link,  the second looks like an empty wiki page.

xavier wrote:

So, you don't want to join the development team, but you could send a few patchs in the future, right?

Like everyone else I have little time to spare, so I will make no promises.
If I ever make something that actually works, I would certainly send you a patch.

I would not mind helping out a bit, so if you have something easy you'd like me to look at, let me know. Could also help me getting to know the code.

xavier wrote:

Well, we use a development method which is very popular here in France : La Rache, aka ISO-1664 nomicons/grin
http://www.cafenware.com/la-rache/zfiles//kro.jpg

Looks interesting, I did understand the word "post-it"...

flindt wrote:

I did find the first link,  the second looks like an empty wiki page.

Oops. Wrong Link. http://qelectrotech.org/wiki/doc/xml_projects_0.2 should work better.

flindt wrote:

Looks interesting, I did understand the word "post-it"...

Well, once again, the language does not help - it is actually a joke nomicons/smile In french, to do something "à l'arrache" (as "la Rache") means doing it without any planification, reflection, or even knowledge of what will be the software once finished (assuming it'll be finished).